9.30.2009

.:Submission:.

I had the rare pleasure of being the only female in Sunday School this past week. We were studying Colossians 3:18 & 19...mostly Colossians 3:18.

"18 Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. 19Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them."

It was really enlightening to get a guy's perspective on these verses. Generally when I discuss Colossians 3:18 with girls we cover these two points: It's important for us to submit to our husbands (because the Bible says so) and even though we are submitting that does not mean that they are "better" than us.

While those are good points, I really enjoyed hearing what the guys had to say. One person talked about how there have been a few occasions in his marriage when he and his wife did not agree. He had to make the final call and his wife had to submit. He talked about how he dreaded making these decisions. He really felt the weight of responsibility on him and even after he had made the decision for days afterward he would assess his decision trying to make sure that he had made the right one. This was really a shock for me and I'm not sure why I had never thought about it like that before. Usually when I think of having to submit I (selfishly) think, "Oh, he's just getting his way". I've rarely thought about the huge responsibility that comes with being the decision maker.

Looking at it from that perspective has really helped me to see how much protection and security that submitting provides. For myself, and most women I know, feeling secure and protected is a top priority. By submitting I am bring myself under my husbands protection. So, it should be a delight for me to submit.

Does that make sense? Thoughts?


Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men. .Colossians 3:23.

No comments: