7.02.2008

:Raindrops on Roses:.

My favorite Bible verse is Ezra 7:10. I adopted this as my favorite verse my freshman year of college at Wolbi. We were going through the book of Ezra, which I was not very familiar with but soon came to love.

Ezra led about 2,000 Jewish people back to Israel from Babylon in 457. Zerrubabel had taken a group back 80 years prior to this to rebuild the temple. Ezra's main focus was on the spiritual condition of the people. Ezra did not tolerate sin and he was used by God to bring spiritual restoration to the remnant in Israel.

Ezra 7:10 is my favorite verse because it gives a great outline as to how we should organize our lives. Ezra studied first, then he practiced what he had studied and then he taught others. In the TOTC Derek Kidner writes, "in verse 10 [we learn] the secret of Ezra's lasting influence. He is a model reformer in that what he taught he had first lived, and what he lived he had first made sure of in the Scriptures." This is a great example of how we should live our lives today. I so often want to jump into something that I neglect to study first. On the other end we should be careful not to overlook the teaching portion. We need to be passing on what we are learning and practicing to others. The older women teaching the younger and likewise with the men.

So, what's your favorite verse and why?

Blessed be the LORD, the God of our fathers, who has put such a thing as this in the king's heart, to adorn the house of the LORD which is in Jerusalem .Ezra 7:27.

p.s. If you like the image check out wordle.

2 comments:

Culpster said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Culpster said...

I love the book of Ezra. One of my favorites. I've never met anyone that liked the book as much as I do. Very cool.

Probably my favorite verse is Philippians 3:10-11. Especially the amplified version:

Phi 3:10 [For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope]
Phi 3:11 That if possible I may attain to the [spiritual and moral] resurrection [that lifts me] out from among the dead [even while in the body].

This is my favorite verse because, to me, it is the essence of what following Christ is about. I’m continually trying to get my life to align with this verse in the midst of the chaos that is my life.