7.24.2008

.:Nehemiah:.

This past month I read through Ezra and Nehemiah. The book of Ezra deals with the rebuilding of the temple, led by Zerubbabel, and the spiritual restoration of the people, led by Ezra. The book of Nehemiah focuses on the rebuilding of the walls, led by none other than Nehemiah himself. There are a couple of things in the first two chapters that really stood out to me.

No. 1 - In chapter one verse three Nehemiah learns about the dilapidated state of the walls in Jerusalem and the distress of the people. Chapter one verse four says, "So it was, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned for many days; I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven." Nehemiah immediately responded to the situation with prayer and fasting. That is amazing to me. So often when troubles start to overwhelm I get stressed and try to think through how I can solve the problem. This approach never works and I usually just end up getting more stressed. Eventually I realize that I can't and need to ask God for help. I need my first response to be more like that of Nehemiah's.

No. 2 - In chapter two Nehemiah says to the people, "Come let us build." They responded by saying, "Let us rise up and build." I love that God used one person to excite the nation into action. Again and again in scripture we see God move in the heart of one person to do great things. It happened with Moses, Noah, Gideon, etc, etc. This is a great encouragement to me. It's easy for me to think "oh, I'm just one person, what can I do for God?... I'm so insignificant!" God can use anyone from a King right down to a cup bearer.

Hear, O kings; give ear, O princes; to the LORD I will sing; I will make melody to the LORD, the God of Israel. .Judges 5:3.

3 comments:

Brianna said...

Good Post Katie...challenging reminders!
We miss you!!
Love Brianna

Sharon said...

I think these are some cool thoughts. I also have to work on turning to God for help and not trying to figure everything out myself.

Gina@Chats With An "Old Lady" said...

THANK YOU FOR THE BIRTHDAY GREETING!!!