7.08.2008

.:the Joy of My Salvation:.

When I was in 6th or 7th grade my family started attending a different church. For the first time in my life I had a youth pastor. Jason, my youth pastor, was absolutely crazy. He was outgoing, loud and had tons of stories about the insane things he did when he was in high school. He also loved the Bible and was serious about getting us involved in church. I really appreciated the fact that He loved the Bible and was still normal.

It was during this period of time that I really grew as a Christian and started to learn what being a Christian really meant. I finally got that it was more than just going to church on Sundays. I became so excited about Christ and church and was always trying to get my friends to come to our activities. I couldn't wait until I could drive so that when I saw a motorist broken down on the road I could stop and help them and share Christ with them. Never mind the fact that I couldn't even change a tire, much less do anything else to help. Never mind the fact that as a teenage girl I should never stop to help a stranger alone. These things didn't go through my mind because I was so excited about sharing Christ.

As I grew older I got more cynical. There were some problems in our church that really hurt everyone involved. I went to college and was learning more about theology and doctrine, which was great, but I became more judgmental towards those who didn't share my same doctrinal beliefs. I lost that joy and excitement that you have in those beginning years and began to focus on the problems that I saw within the body of Christ. I am now trying to change my perspective and stop looking at things so cynically. It is not healthy for me or for the body of Christ. In Psalm 51:12 David prays, "Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit." That is my prayer tonight.

And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD: it shall rejoice in His salvation. .Psalm 35:9.

3 comments:

Brianna said...

I had fun too Katie! I'm glad we could have lunch...we looked for The Importance of Being Earnest, but couldn't find it (Mom and I have come to the conclusion that the local Blockuster STINKS!!). We rented a few other movies, and they turned out to be soooo depressing!!! :-( Oh well!
Brianna

Gina@Chats With An "Old Lady" said...

Thank YOU for taking the time to go to lunch with us. It was OUR privilege! We'll have to do it again sometime!

I enjoyed reading what you shared in this post! I have felt the same way. I am finding that if I focus on Jesus and who HE is, learn as much as I can about God, nurture that relationship, and ask God to conform me into HIS image...it takes my eyes off of people/other Christians and the problems in the church, and helps me not be cynical. It's all about the gospel, our need for Him...and if I remember that I have a much more humble heart and there is no room for the judgement...

It can be hard though, can't it?

Hugs to you!

Culpster said...

I know exactly what you mean.