6.28.2008

.:Fix Your Eyes:.

I went down to the ocean for a few days this past week and got to hang out with my parents and some friends of theirs. It was really nice to get to spend some time with them. Their friends daughter and granddaughter came down as well. The granddaughter, Miss E., just turned 3 in May. That's her in the picture. She's pretty cute don't you think.

On Thursday Miss E.'s grand-pappy took her into the ocean. Since she is 3 and not really able to swim he carried her. The waves were big that day but not rough. To a three year old however, I'm sure they seemed pretty monstrous. When Miss E. would look at the waves you could see the fear in her eyes. Her pappy told her to keep looking at him and he would take care of the waves. When she did that you could see her start to relax. Her pappy was true to his word and took care of her. It immediately made me think of this passage:

During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.
But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

"Come," he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God." Matthew 12:25-33
This got me to thinking about how I often I react just like Peter. Instead of keeping my eyes on Christ I get distracted by the storms. When troubles seem to overwhelm me I spend a lot of time focusing on the problems instead of trusting in Christ. A few weeks ago I was trying to go to sleep at night but couldn't because I was stressed about a few things...mainly about needing to find a new job closer to home. I started flipping through the Psalms and came upon this verse: "When I was in distress, I sought the Lord; at night I stretched out my untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted." Psalm 77:2. I thought the last phrase, and my soul refused to be comforted, was interesting. That is exactly how I felt. I had been praying about this for some time but was not really trusting in the Lord to work it out in his timing. I'd love to say that after reading this I was immediately comforted and fell into a deep and peaceful sleep. That was not so, but I was reminded that it is me that needs to change my focus and my attitude when the troubles seem to be overwhelming. It's so easy to forget that the Lord is in control when my thinking is occupied by the things that are troubling me. And, it's easy to remember this when these things get resolved. I'm thankful to have a God who is consistent even when I'm not.

I know that everything God does will remain forever; there is nothing to add to it and there is nothing to take from it, for God has so worked that men should fear Him. .Ecclesiastes 3:14.

1 comment:

Pete Wilson said...

I act way to much like Peter, most of the time!