4.06.2008

.: The Two Mites :.

Luke 21:1-4 tells the story of the poor widow who gave her two mites to the church. Though her gift was small, Christ praised her for it because she had given out of her poverty. Jason and I attended a silent/live auction to benefit Lighthouse Christian Academy on Friday. There were many items donated from the community. Local businesses donated airplane tickets, photography/painting services, a day out on the bay, a year membership to a golf club (valued at $3,000+) and much, much more. Nestled in with all of these glitzy items was a modest hand crafted wooden truck. When they got to the description of this item the compère announced that this piece had been donated by a very generous man in the community. The man is homeless and is currently staying at the K.I. homeless shelter (soon to be closed). His only source of income is the money he makes selling his handcrafted items. I was really humbled when I heard about this. In our society a lot of the stories you see on the news are shocking accounts of violent crimes because bad news sells. I've often thought about how truly wicked the human heart can be. This was a good reminder that God gave us a great capacity to love.

*Why on earth did I use an obscure word like compère when I could have easily used a more common one? Well, I love words, especially learning new ones. I've been reading the lemony snicket series and he always sticks in cool words. I thought I'd follow his lead. I'm sorry if you find it annoying...but I did stick a link in of the definition just for your convenience.

1 And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury, 2 and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites. 3 So He said, “Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all; 4 for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had.” .Luke 21:1-4.

1 comment:

Leigh Taylor said...

Hey happened on your blog and saw I was a fave photographer...who is this??