4.03.2008

.: Rainy Days :.


Mostly likely at some point in your life you've heard the phrase, "When it rains, it pours". Never has this been truer in my life than this past week. For the past year my grandfather's health has been declining. He has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Anyone familiar with this disease knows what a struggle it can be for the person and the family. My parents have made more trips out to Ohio (from Maryland) this past year than I can recall. Getting his affairs sorted has been no small feat. After living with my parents for a few months, and constantly asking to go back home, my parents found a suitable assisted living home in Ohio for him. I was glad that he was going to a place where he would be safe and well taken care of. At the beginning of last week he walked out of the assisted living facility. Thankfully, nothing happened and he is fine. However, since the facility he is in can only care for low-level Alzheimer's patients, he can no longer stay there. Thankfully, we found another assisted living facility this week that has a lock down unit for Alzheimer patients. As though that wasn't enough, my gram went into the hospital at the beginning of last week. She had pneumonia, a collapsed lung and was having some heart trouble. The doctor's were able to drain a liter of fluid from one of her lungs which helped a lot. The doctors ran some tests in order to determine the cause of the infection. This past Monday we were told that one of the tests came back positive for cancer. On Monday and Tuesday I was a mess. I like to be in control of things and this is something over which I have absolutely no control. Not only that, but I am also confused about much of what needs to happen now. The terms radiation and chemotherapy are very familiar but in all honesty I have no clue what they are. I have spent a lot of time praying over the last few days. It is really scary not knowing what is going to happen but I can honestly say that (at the moment) I am not anxious about the situation. I know that whatever happens it will be ok. I know that the comings months, perhaps years, will be a time of great testing (and they will be hard) but that this will help me to develop perseverance, maturity and wisdom.


2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; 8he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does. .James 1:2-7

photo by _Dano

2 comments:

s u s a n said...

Katie, I'm so sorry for the things you're experiencing with your family! Sometimes I think it hurts more when things are happening to those we love than if they were happing to ourselves. My brother has been going through some trying times and may be losing his eyesight. The doctors have been trying for over a year to find out what's wrong, but they have no answers. It is so scary to not know what's happening, but we can have peace with the fact that we know the One who does know. I will be praying for you and for your grandparents!

Erika said...

ZIf there is anything I can do - apart from praying for you and your loved ones - please let me know!