3.13.2008

.: Awana :.

This was a long week. Not a bad week, just a long week. On Tuesday I left for work shortly after 6 a.m. and didn't get back home until 9:45 p.m. I was pretty exhausted. So when Wednesday rolled around I was really tempted to skip out on Awana (a children's ministry at my church). About an hour before it started on Wednesday I decided that I would go. I was tired, but I wanted to be consistent and I knew that people were depending on me to be there. When I arrived I found out that the main leader for my group was home sick, a few of the other volunteers had been unable to come, and we had tons of new kids. The secondary leader for my group looked so relieved when she saw me. It felt nice to be needed. It also felt really good to take a step back from my busy schedule to focus on serving the kids. It's amazing how fast you forget about your problems when you are focusing on serving someone else. Seeing the kids energy and excitement made me so happy. It is so cool to see how quickly they can memorize verses and pick up on things. Going to Awana gave me the boost of encouragement that I needed. It helped me to keep what's important in perspective. Going and serving was far more beneficial and energizing than sitting at home and watching tv.

For who is greater, he who sits at the table, or he who serves? Is it not he who sits at the table? Yet I am among you as the One who serves. .Luke 22:27.


3 comments:

eiLand said...

So, why are your blogs signed "moose"? =D

.moose. said...

Between my freshman and sophomore years of college I was a camp counselor. I had a blue shirt that said moose on it that I would wear a lot b/c I was on the blue team. It became a nickname, that I thought I would leave at camp. One of my campers ended up coming to my college a few years later and revived the name.

Anonymous said...

I totally feel you on this. Awana is great though it can be challenging at imes. thanks for sharing